Ichthyosis is referred as group of at least 28 different hereditary skin diseases. In all types of skin disorders caused by ichthyosis it can be found dry, thickened, scaly or flaky skin develop around the skin of patients. It is often found the scales develop on the skin of patients resemble like fish scales. The acuteness of the disease can vary from person to like in mild cases the disease takes the form of ichthyosis vulgaris and most serious case the disease is termed as asharlequin. However, the most common form of ichthyosis, which is found in almost 95% cases, is termed as ichthyosis vulgaris.
It is often very difficult task for dermatologists to diagnose actual form of ichthyosis. The different forms of the skin disorder are diagnosed by their appearance and genetic cause. If the genetic cause of the skin order is same it does not mean the severity of the disease will be same as it can vary from person to person having same gens. The common forms of ichthyosis are Ichthyosis vulgaris, X-linked ichthyosis, congenital ichthyosiform erythroderma, Epidermolytic hyperkeratosis, and many others. In any form of the disease it is recommended to avoid using hot water for bath as it will make skin dry. It is also advised to avoid the use of soaps of any brand. Further, even doctors suggest not rub the skin even after taking bath. The patients suffering from ichthyosis can feel more comfortable in living warm climate.
For any kind of ichthyosis homeopathy proves to best treatment. Vira’s Homeopathy Clinic is one the best clinics where several patients can get complete treatment for any form of ichthyosis. Our doctors are expert in diagnosing different forms of the disease by doing genetic tests. Once, the types of ichthyosis is diagnosed doctors proceed with proper medication.
The most common or well-known types are as follows:
- Ichthyosis vulgaris
- X-linked ichthyosis
- Congenital ichthyosiform erythroderma (nbCIE)
- Epidermolytic hyperkeratosis (bullous ichthyosis, bCIE)
- Harlequin type ichthyosis
- Ichthyosis bullosa of Siemens
- Ichthyosis hystrix
- Ichthyosis lamellaris (lamellar ichthyosis)
- Carvajal syndrome
- CHILD Syndrome
- Conradi-Hünermann syndrome
- Darier’s disease
- Erythrokeratodermia variabilis (Erythrokeratodermia figurata variabilis, Mendes da Costa type erythrokeratodermia)
- IFAP syndrome (Ichthyosis follicularis)
- Keratitis-ichthyosis-deafness syndrome
- Netherton syndrome
- Neutral lipid storage disease (Dorfman-Chanarin syndrome)
- Refsum’s disease
- Rud syndrome
- Senter syndrome
- Sjögren-Larsson syndrome
- Tay syndrome (IBIDS syndrome,Trichothiodystrophy)
- Ichthyosis acquisita
- Do not take hot baths or showers, they dry out the skin. Use warm to cool water. Soap should not be used on your skin because it irritates and dries the skin. You should use the soap substitute Cetaphil lotion which is available from the pharmacy without a prescription.
- Do not rub the skin dry after you bathe. Blot your skin gently then apply an Alpha hydroxyacid lotions. Neostrata 15 AHA Body/Face Lotion is a very effective treatment for ichthyosis when applied to moist skin after bathing.
- The doctor can prescribe an Alpha hydroxyacid lotion for your skin which will dissolve the scales and will increase the moisture content of your skin.
- There is no cure for ichthyosis. This is a life-long condition which can be managed or controlled.
- Living in a warm climate often improves ichthyosis.